Is someone really annoying you on Twitch either by the things they are saying in a stream or by whispering you non stop. Did you know there is a way that you can block these users? In this video I will show you how to block people on Twitch as well as the difference between a block and a ban.
How To Block Someone On Twitch
To block someone on Twitch, follow these steps:
- While in a stream click on the user that you would like to block.
- A small window will appear with a basic summary of their Twitch account.
- Click on the 3 dots and then click “Block [their username]”.
- Click on the red “Block” button in the new window that appears and the person will now be blocked.
Here are some images to help walk you through it if you need extra help.
Click on the user you want to block on a stream and a small window that shows a summary of the users Twitch account you clicked will appear.
Click on the 3 dots and then click “Block [their username]”.
Click on the red “Block” button in the new window that appears and the person will now be blocked.
Now the above method is great if you are in a stream and want to block someone, but what if someone is whispering you like crazy or otherwise annoying you, then what. Well here is how you would block someone when you already know their username or if they are annoying you in your Twitch whispers.
- Click on the “Whispers” icon.
- Type in and then click on the person that you want to block.
- Once the chat window appears click on the cog wheel located at the top of the chat box.
- Click on “Block [their username].
- You may be asked to select a reason, once you select a reason click “Block”.
- They are now blocked.
Here are some screen shots in case you need some extra help.
Click on the “Whisper” icon.
Click on the cog wheel and then click on block.
Now if you are on mobile the process is pretty much the same, it will just look a little bit different.
How To Block Someone On Twitch Mobile
To block someone on Twitch mobile, follow these steps:
- While in a stream click on the user that you want to block.
- Now click on the “block” button.
- Select the reason you want to block the user.
- Click the “Confirm” button.
- You have now blocked this user.
Here are some screen shots to help if needed.
Click on a user and then click on the “Block” button in the window that appears.
Select your reason for the block and then click confirm.
This person is now blocked.
You could also block someone through whispers just like on PC. Here is how you would do that.
- Open the Twitch app and go to the home page.
- Click on the “Whispers” button at the top of the page.
- Click on the user you would like to block.
- A chat window will appear.
- Click on the cog wheel at the top of this window and then click “Block”.
- Select your reason and then click “Confirm”.
- The user is now blocked.
Here a few screenshots to help if you need.
Click on the “Whisper” icon at the top of the Twitch mobile homepage.
Click on the user you would like to block, then click the cog wheel then click the block button.
Select your reason and then click confirm.
Typically when you block someone on Twitch it is for good reason and you don’t want to communicate with that person anymore. However, if you ever change your mind and do decide to unblock a user, here is how you would do it.
How To Unblock Someone On Twitch
To unblock someone on Twitch follow these steps:
- Log into your Twitch account and click on your profile icon.
- Now click on settings and then click on the “Security and Privacy” tab.
- Scroll down to “Blocked Users” and click on “Show Blocked Users”.
- A list of your blocked users will appear.
- Click on the trash can icon next to the user you want to unblock.
Here are some screen shots to help if you need them.
Click on your profile icon and go to your settings.
Click on the “Security and Privacy” tab and scroll down to “Blocked Users” and click on “Show Blocked Users”.
Your list of blocked users will appear. Click the trash can icon next to their username to unblock them.
Of course once you unblock someone you will be able to see their messages again in a stream and they will be able to message and communicate with you again. Just be mindful of this.
How To Unblock Someone On Twitch Mobile
To unblock someone on Twitch mobile, follow these steps:
- Click on the username of the user that you blocked in a stream (you can do this in a stream or in whispers).
- A window will appear with different options.
- Click “Unblock”.
- The user will now be unblocked.
Here is what that will look like:
If the user you are trying to unblock is not on a stream you are in, but rather in your whispers, here is how you would unblock them:
- Log into your Twitch and click on the “Whispers” button at the top of the home page.
- Now, click on the user that you would like to unblock.
- A chat window will appear.
- Click on the cog wheel at the top of this chat window and then click on “Unblock”.
- This user will now be unblocked.
As you can tell this way is not nearly as good as unblocking someone from your PC or from the Twitch website because you are not given your entire blocked list. It may also be difficult finding the user that you want to unblock using this method.
But if you are in a pinch and only have your phone then unblocking from your phone will work just fine, even if it is a bit harder to do.
How To See Who You Have Blocked On Twitch
To see who you have blocked on Twitch, follow these steps:
- Log into your Twitch account and click on your profile icon.
- Click on “Settings” and then click on “Security and Privacy”
- Scroll down to “Blocked Users” and then click on “Show Blocked Users”.
- A list of the users you currently have blocked on Twitch will appear.
This is what your blocked list will look like, except if you have people that you have blocked then this list will be full of the users you currently have blocked.
It’s good to check this list every now and again just to make sure you have not blocked someone accidently or that you have someone on the block list who you only wanted to block temporarily.
There is no need to check this list regularly unless you are just going through and blocking a ton of people.
Now let’s discuss what exactly blocking someone on Twitch does.
Can You Block Someone From Viewing Your Stream?
Users you have blocked or banned on Twitch can still watch your Twitch streams. They will not be able to chat or interact with your stream, but they can still watch your stream. There is currently no way for streamers to block others from viewing their streams.
If a user is harassing you on stream then you may consider reporting them to Twitch. This is your best option at the moment.
If you want to know how to see who is currently watching your stream then check out my article here.
What Does Blocking Someone On Twitch Do?
Blocking someone on Twitch removes them as one of your followers and removes them from your friends list. It also makes it so that way these users are unable to follow, whisper, host, sub, or friend you while blocked. Their messages will be hidden from you as well and they can’t gift you subs.
As you can see when you block someone they are pretty much out of sight and out of mind on Twitch. This is especially useful if someone is harassing or otherwise targeting you on the platform.
But most of the time when I block someone on Twitch it is because they are being extremely annoying on a stream and I don’t want to deal with them anymore in the chat.
Now you may be wondering what is the different between a block and a ban on Twitch and I will touch on that more below.
Difference Between Block and Ban On Twitch
Blocking is used to prevent communication from one user to another. For example you will not see the messages of someone you have blocked in chat. A ban on the other hand only bans a user from participating on a particular channel but does not stop them from communicating with other users.
For example a user who is banned from a channel will still be able to message other users on that channel privately, they will just be unable to participate on the stream.
Blocking is meant to be used by individual users whereas banning someone is meant to be used by streamers to help them get rid of people who are being disruptive in the channel.
Both have their purpose and should both be used when needed.
If you are a streamer and are looking for things to help with your chat moderation consider using emote only chat or slow mode (I linked to both of these articles). And if you need help with your chat rules then visit my article here.
If you are curious if you are banned on a Twitch channel then you can check out my article here. And if you want to know how to deal with toxicity on Twitch then check out my article here.
|Best Equipment (Mics, Cameras, Etc.) – Looking to upgrade your streaming equipment? Check out some of my recommended products here on Amazon. 🎙️📸🎧|
|Best Overlays, Alerts, Etc. – Want to make your stream STAND OUT? Check out the amazing overlays, alerts, and emotes at OWN3D.TV (click to check them out). 🎨😎👽|
|Best Streaming Software – Streamlabs Prime is the streaming software used by most major streamers. It allows you to multi-stream, set up a merch store, and much more. Click here to check them out. 🤖|
|Best Music – Looking for music you can safely play on stream? Epidemic Sound has thousands of DMCA free songs that you can safely play on your streams and Youtube videos. Click here to check them out.🎶🎸🎤|