Discord bots are extremely useful when you are trying to run a Discord server. But is it possible to have too many bots? I talk about that and much more down below.
How Many Discord Bots Can You Have? What’s The Limit?
While the number of Discord bots that a server can have at one time varies from server to server, 199,999 is the maximum limit. However, generally speaking, it is recommended that you keep your bot count low as each bot uses a certain amount of RAM and processing power from the hosting machine.
With this in mind, it is wise never to go overboard when you set up a Discord server. Let’s discus what is a good amount of bots for a server to have.
What Is A Good Number Of Bots To Have On Discord?
Although the right number of bots will vary depending on the server, it is a good idea never to have more than 20 bots in a server at one time. Having more bots than this could begin to confuse users and could make the server appear spammy.
Like I mentioned earlier, you want to try and keep your bot count as low as possible. Only have the bots you need to run the server and remove the ones you do not need.
Let me list out some of the cons of having too many bots on one server.
- A laggy and unresponsive server: Each bot will add additional load to the server hosting it, leading to a bogged-down and unresponsive system.
- Loss of control: Depending on what moderation tools the bots have available to them (if any), then there’s always a chance that they might damage your community somehow through spamming or inappropriate behavior.
- Bot misuse: Certain bots can be misused for harmful purposes such as leeching referral links or phishing for people’s sensitive data.
- Bots may kick you and your friends unintentionally (or deliberately): Depending on what commands are hard-coded into the bot, it might accidentally kick everyone off if you give it a command that’s phrased improperly.
For these reasons you must be on top of the bots you allow on your server. Adding the wrong bot to your server could have major consequences.
How To Add A Bot On Discord
The easiest way to add a bot on Discord is by going to mee6.xyz and linking your account. Let me show you how to do that below.
- Go to mee6.xyz and then click on “Add to Discord”.
- Authorize MEE6 to give it access to your account.
- Select which server you want to add the bot to.
- Now go to the dashboard and select the plugin you would like to add to your server.
- Toggle the plugin on and then customize the plugin.
Here are some screenshots that provide more detail on setting up a Discord bot.
Go to mee6.xyz and then click on “Add to Discord”.
Authorize MEE6 to give it access to your account.
Select which server you want to add the bot to.
Now go to the dashboard and select the plugin you would like to add to your server.
Toggle the plugin on and then customize the plugin.
Now the reason so many Discord users choose to use the MEE6 bot is because it is so easy to setup and so easy to customize.
It doesn’t take any fancy coding or anything like that. Just connect MEE6 to your Discord and you can have a welcome message, custom commands, channel stats and more.
You can even use this bot to help you make announcements, help moderate your server while you are not there, and even notify your server for things such as when you go live on Twitch.
This free bot really does so much for your Discord server and is a must if you plan and having and growing a Discord server.
I use this bot for so much on my Discord server and it makes my life a lot easier. Not to mention the fact that it notifies my server every time I go live on Twitch or make a new Youtube video.
There are tons of other bots you could use, but I find that MEE6 takes care of a lot and so I definitely recommend using it.
If you need more help setting up your MEE6 bought then check out the video below.
How To Add Multiple Bots On A Discord Server
The process of adding multiple bots on Discord is the same as adding a single bot on Discord. Typically when adding a single bot on Discord you go to the bots website and link the bot to your Discord from there.
You can see an example of this above. Adding bots on Discord is usually pretty simple, but it can take a lot of time if you are trying to add multiple bots at once.
Who Can Add Bots On Discord?
Anybody who has the “Manage Server” permission enabled under their role can add bots to a server. Typically this permission is reserved only for the Discord Admins or trusted mods, but technically anybody could have the permission enabled and therefore be able to add bots.
This setting can be changed if you go into your server settings and then select roles. From there click on the role you would like to adjust permissions for, change the permissions and then save your changes.
However, even though you can grant this permission to anyone, I HIGHLY recommend you only grant this “Manage Server” permission to people you really trust.
If not, some random user could possibly come in a cause a ton of issues for you and those in your server. Just be careful.
In the end bots are super useful on Discord. You should definitely use a couple to help you manage your Discord server, but remember not to get carried away or they could end up ruining your server.
- Reddit: Does Inviting 500+ Bots to a Single Discord Server Break Any Rules
- Reddit: What Is the Bot Limit?
- Forbes: Discord Bots Are Multiplying Fast on Discord Community Servers
- Dyno: Dyno. Discord Platform
- MEE6: MEE6
Eric streams 3 days a week on Twitch and uploads weekly to Youtube under the moniker, StreamersPlaybook. He loves gaming, PCs, and anything else related to tech. He’s the founder of the website StreamersPlaybook and loves helping people answer their streaming, gaming, and PC questions.