Welcome bots are a great way to make newcomers feel welcome and recognized. Below, I will show you how to add a welcome bot to your Discord channel.
How To Add A Welcome Bot On Discord
There are several Discord bots that you can use to welcome new members to your server such as Dyno Bot or GAwesome Bot, but for the example below I will use the MEE6 bot.
- Go to the MEE6 website
- Click the “Add to Discord” button
- Choose the server where you’d like to implement the welcome messages.
- Go to Discord, create a new channel and name it “welcome”
- Go into the settings of your new ‘welcome’ channel, click on permissions, and turn off the “send messages” permission for everyone. This ensures only the bot can post welcome messages in this channel.
- Go back to the MEE6 website and add the “Welcome & Goodbye” plugin
- Toggle on “Send a message when a user joins the server”
- Select the channel you want the welcome message in (choose the “welcome” channel you create if that is where you want the message to appear)
- Customize your message and now when a user joins your channel the message will automatically be sent in the designated channel
Like I already mentioned though, there are several bots that can welcome users like MEE6 can, but I find the MEE6 bot to be the easiest to set up and use. It’s what I personally use on my server.
If you want to add even more customizations to your welcome message, here is how you would do so.
How To Add A Welcome Image On Discord
As in the previous example, I will stick to using the MEE6 bot. Adding custom images to a welcome message will vary from bot to bot, but here is how you would do it with the MEE6 bot.
- Go to the MEE6 website, select the server you want to customize, and then click on the “Welcome & Goodbye” plugin
- Make sure the plugin is enabled
- Toggle on “Send a welcome card…”
- Now customize your image
*Note: If you want to send a custom welcome image with the MEE6 bot you will have to upgrade to premium. Plans start at $11.99 a month.
I personally don’t use welcome images, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a cool feature. They definitely make the message stand out more.
Why Add Welcome Messages For New Members?
Adding welcome messages for new members on Discord serves a multifaceted purpose. Firstly, it creates a warm and inviting atmosphere for newcomers, immediately making them feel acknowledged and valued in the community.
Such messages can set the tone of the server, highlighting its friendly and inclusive nature. Additionally, these messages often provide vital information, guiding the new members on server rules, available channels, and key contacts.
By doing so, they streamline the onboarding process, helping members to acclimate quickly and participate actively. In essence, welcome messages on Discord not only foster community engagement but also ensure a smooth transition for every new entrant.
Over the past several years I have learned a TON about streaming, gaming, and PCs. My goal with this website, and with my YouTube channel, is to pass that knowledge on to you.